Friday 18 July 2014

Neon Poetry Day 5: Tire Tracks

Today’s poetic apologies are offered to a poet called Anonymous, or Mary Stevenson, depending on whose lawyers you ask.

Speaking of lawyers, they probably have some extra money with which to sponsor my ride with the Neon Riders, so hopefully they’ll do that instead of suing me for this parody.


Just one week and a day until the MS Bike Tour. Go Neon Riders!

Here’s today’s poem.

Tire Tracks

One night I dreamed I was cycling along the beach with the my cycling partner. Many scenes from our rides flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed tire tracks on the road. Sometimes there were two sets of tire tracks, other times there was one only.

This bothered me, because I noticed that during the low periods of my rides, when I was suffering from cramps, saddle soreness, or defeat, I could see only one set of tire tracks, so I said to my cycling partner,

“You promised me, friend,
that if I followed you, you would never stop suddenly, always use appropriate hand signals, and take your turns pulling at the front. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my rides there has only been one set of tire tracks on the road.

Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

My cycling partner replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of tire tracks, my child,

is when you got dropped.”

No comments:

Post a Comment