Wednesday 23 July 2014

Brake With a Snipped Wire: Neon Poetry Day 10

With only three days left until the MS Bike Tour, I have raised $500. Thanks, generous donors! If you want to join them in supporting the MS Society with a donation, you can do so here. We ride on Saturday!

It’s also time to reveal our costumes for 2014. Mama Button put in hours of meticulous sewing, and the results are amazing. Behold, Josh Kent and Neon Man.


(It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a weirdo in neon! It's Neon Rider Man!)

As for picking out the bottom half of my superhero ensemble, let me just say this: Sometimes being super means that your significant other will lift a pair of hot-pink bootie shorts from a Wal-Mart rack, hold them up to your hips, and loudly exclaim, "Do you think these will fit you?"

And now for today’s poem, with apologies to Leonard Cohen.

Brake With a Snipped Wire

Like a brake with a snipped wire, 
like a skunk in a racoon choir 
I have tried in my way to ride free. 

Like a bike stolen by a crook, 
like a penny-farthing from some old fashioned book,
I have saved all my bib numbers for thee. 

If I, if I ride too close behind, 
I hope that you can just let me go by. 
If my, if my wheel has been untrue, 
Then I, I wish it never spoked to you. 

Like a brake pad, overworn, 
like a bike messenger gripping his bullhorns, 
When my lycra’s torn, everyone averts their eyes from me. 
But I swear by this song 
and by all that I have cycled wrong 
I will make it all up to thee. 

Oh like a brake with a snipped wire, 
like a skunk in a racoon choir
I have tried in my way to ride free.

No comments:

Post a Comment